Saturday, July 30, 2011

An Open Letter to my Fellow Conservatives

Below is a letter I recently submitted to our local newspapers. I had trouble limiting myself to just 400 words, but I hope it gets my point across. We can disagree, even vehemently, but we cannot let those disagreements tear us apart. Both our current political climate and our national news media – from established television networks and newspapers to talk radio and the blogosphere – thrive on manufactured outrage, keeping us all worked up about whatever “they” have done that “we” must fight back against. The details and even the truth are irrelevant, as long as the advertising revenue and the campaign donations keep coming. We have serious problems which require serious thought and action, and instead we have an increasingly polarized and heated climate that can only lead to violence and the disintegration of our political society. We have to think about what we’re saying when we argue and what message we’re really sending. We have to stand up not just to our opponents, but especially to our friends, and say, “This isn’t right. This has to stop.” This is my attempt to say that. I hope you’ll stand with me.

AN OPEN LETTER TO MY FELLOW CONSERVATIVES
I’m frustrated, too. Both major parties are to blame for the fiscal mess in Washington, but I’m particularly disappointed that the Republican Party – which I’ve supported my entire adult life as the party of limited government, fiscal discipline and local control – oversaw much of the past decade’s debt explosion. I understand why many of you have been so disgusted that you’ve turned to the Tea Party “movement.” I don’t always agree with their arguments or their actions, but that’s how democratic society works: concerned citizens engage each other on issues that matter, even when they disagree.

However, I cannot sit quietly by as our local Tea Party, like far too many other “conservative” groups and individuals, goes beyond political debate to inciting violence and advocating treason. The group’s booth at this year’s Boone County Fair proudly displayed and offered for sale t-shirts that proclaim “Got Ammo!” Such a threat – and it is clearly a threat – has no place in political debate, nor in civilized society. Tea Party supporters tell me they expect a civil war if the federal government does not return to what they consider “constitutional” principles, and they want to be ready. Advocating this position is advocating treason. It threatens violence to those who disagree and endorses armed resistance to government. Another big seller encourages violence by stating “Our forefathers would be shooting by now.” Tea Partiers claim to advocate “Liberty, not Tyranny;” the only forefathers who might call our government today “tyranny” are the fathers of the Confederacy, who claimed to fight for liberty while committing treason to protect slavery. The patriots of the Boston Tea Party petitioned their government and carried out peaceful protest, only resorting to violence when, in response to that protest, the Crown took away their rights to self-government by closing their courts and outlawing their democratic assemblies. Our forefathers took up arms to defend those rights, rights we enjoy today to an extent none of them could even have imagined.

Losing an election is not tyranny; it’s democracy. Compromise is not treason; it’s governance. Living in a diverse society with people whose views differ so dramatically is difficult. Freedom requires behaving responsibly, and remembering that our words have consequences. Violent and threatening rhetoric has no place in our political discourse. I want no part of it, nor of any group which condones it. We’re better than this.

About the County Council

The County Council approves the county budget, sets the tax rate, borrows money, makes appropriations of funds and is responsible for county employee salaries, among other things. Essentially, the County Commissioners are the executive branch of county government, setting most policies and making decisions on issues as they arise, while the County Council is more like the legislative branch, approving those decisions (or not) and finding a way to pay for them.The Council has seven members, one representing each of four geographic districts and three at-large members. (I am one of the at-large seats, so wherever you live in Boone County, I am your representative.) Members serve four-year terms. Every voter is represented by a majority of the Council members: one member from the voter's district, plus three at-large members.

About Me

My photo
Lebanon, IN, United States
I am a life-long resident of Boone County and a 1989 graduate of Western Boone High School. My wife Rylin and I, along with our children Matthew and Laura, live southwest of Lebanon on the old family dairy farm that has been in my family nearly 70 years. I am a graduate of Purdue University, and for the past 20+ years have taught history, government and English at Zionsville High School. I have a Master's degree in American Studies from Purdue and am working -- slowly -- toward a Master of Public Affairs degree at IUPUI. Before being elected to the County Council in 2008, I served six years on the Jackson Township Board, having first been elected in 2002. I also serve as the Council's representative on the board of the Boone County Economic Development Corporation.